The Overberg is situated in the Western Cape, South Africa and has its spectacular first entrance views a mere hour's drive from Cape Town past Somerset West over the Hottentots Holland mountains.
The Overberg region (meaning “over the mountain”) is known for its rural villages and picturesque seaside towns, and with its magnificent mountain ranges, rivers, pristine nature reserves, indigenous fynbos and awe-inspiring coastline with beautiful beaches, it is a true nature lover's paradise.
Make sure you include the following highlights in your Overberg country holiday:
- The scenic R44 Clarence Drive from Gordon's Bay to Rooi Els, Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond sports magnificent mountains and spectacular views across False Bay.
- In the interior endless wheatfields lure one on to charming historical towns such as Elim and Genadendal, Morovian mission towns.
- Whale watching between June and November along the coast and especially from the cliffs at Hermanus.
- The Elgin Valley and Grabouw, one of the richest fruit-growing regions in the country, produce 65% of South Africa's export apples.
- At the most southern tip of Africa, Cape Agulhas, two oceans meet - the Indian Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean. At Cape Agulhus the ancient lighthouse has witnessed many a shipwreck.
- The agricultural museums at Grabouw and Swellendam.
- Caledon is famous for its casino, hot springs and wild flower garden.
- Visit the Harold Porter Botanical Gardens between Betty's Bay and Kleinmond. The Overberg is home to more than 8 500 fynbos species, more than 6 000 are found nowhere else in the world.
Affordable holiday accommodation ranges from self-catering holiday homes, apartments and cottages to bed and breakfasts, guest houses and hotels.
You can browse the map below to find places that are near where you'd like to stay.
Simply click on a marker to view more information.
You can also view our maps page for more geographical information.
Not finding what you want? Consider browsing one of the following regions that are close to
Alternatively you can contact us direcly
, and we'll source accommodation on your behalf.